Saturday, June 30, 2007

Home Sweet Home....

Aaaah, I'm home again. After a miserable night at the dog's house, I couldn't take it, he couldn't take it, and my human couldn't take it - I don't know what she was thinking, expecting me to spend the weekend with that, that...loud and over zealous pup.

Maybe I could've handled it if he was a bit calmer about the whole thing, but noooo...when I just wanted to quietly check him out from a few feet away, he'd just get all impatient and start barking and lunging at me. My human says he just wanted to play, but he just couldn't do it on my terms, could he?

Well...as you all know, I am queen of the universe, and if someone doesn't play by my rules, they just don't play, period. That includes dogs.

Now, I bet you're wondering what happened last night. Well....I could need a whole lot of therapy (or at least a big bag of turkey flavoured Temptations), but I'll tell you, because that dog's probably telling everybody that I'm the one who was being difficult.

When my human brought me to the dog's house, she put me in the bathroom to collect myself - as I said before, I hate travelling. She had my food and my treats and my toys, and my catnip pillow...give my human credit for one thing, she does know how to pack even if she does choose horrible destinations. Once I'd settled in for awhile, she brought the dog over to sniff at me under the door. Man, did he stink! I mean, I always knew that dogs were smelly critters, but whoa, dude, have another dentabone!

Anyway, from across the door he didn't seem too bad. She took him away and opened the door for me. I thought for awhile about whether or not I should come out, but she seemed to have the dog under control so I figured, why not? I crept down the hallway and got my first good look at the new digs - making a mental note of all the possible escape routes in case the dog tried to eat me.

Things were fine for awhile - I found a quiet perch on the back of the couch from which to keep an eye on the pooch. My human brought him closer and I gave him a couple of love taps just to let him know to keep his distance. Which he did. For a while. But every ten or fifteen minutes or so, he'd get bored of just watching me and would bark at me and drop toys in front of me....like I want to play with his slobbery toys? (Actually, I like that some of them squeak...I wonder if my human can get me one of those...a clean one, of course!).

He'd bark, I'd hiss. He'd back off, I'd back off. So it would continue for hours. Eventually, I decided to take a closer look at him, and I thought I'd made it very clear that I meant to do so on my terms...but every time I'd approach, he'd start barking and jumping and trying to lick me again.

Tell me, how hard is it to figure out that he just needs to chill? I mean, can't he see it's hard enough for me to agree to sniff a DOG and that if I'm willing to do so, maybe he ought to just settle down and let me check him out?

By bedtime, we still had not made our peace. I retreated to the bathroom and the dog went to bed...with my human!!! Once I thought he was asleep I thought I would go join her, you know, in case the dog thought he could claim her...but he tried to pounce on me as soon as I snuck out of the bathroom. I escaped under the bed but he just kept pacing and sticking his head under the bed, calling me out.

Yeah right!

Finally, my human, sensing my distress, rescued me and agreed to bring me home where I belong.

And now, I'm going for a much needed nap...who sleeps when they're at a dog's house anyway?

Bailey

No comments: