Sunday, June 3, 2007

The key to a successful mid-afternoon nap...

...is to be adorable. Now, for most of us this comes naturally, but there are times when it is especially important. Like Sundays.

My human almost always stays home with me on Sundays. The rest of the week, she's off doing her own thing, gallivanting around with that dog and who knows what else, then sucking up to me afterward. And while it is my duty to make her feel guilty for that which takes her attention away from me, for the most part, I enjoy having the house to myself so that I may sleep undisturbed whenever, and wherever, I wish.

On Sundays, however, I have to contend with the human. For one, she likes to sleep in on Sundays, which means that she is at least an hour late serving me breakfast, which puts me an hour behind on my napping schedule. Then there is the housecleaning, which I must be around to inspect, and the laundry, which I must lie on immediately.

All this wears a kitty out, and with my sleep schedule already disrupted by the morning's activities, a long mid-afternoon nap in the sun is a must. Now, because the human is home, it can be difficult to sleep undisturbed for long periods of time. She wants to sit beside me, then she needs a drink of water, then she needs to inspect between the couch cushions to retrieve all the things I have hidden there (see Fetch, below), then she wants to nap with me, and then the phone rings. Up and down - how on earth is a cat to get any beauty rest?

The key, my friends, is to be absolutely adorable. As with sleep training, you must make your human feel guilty for disturbing you. Let me show you how:


Step 1. Sleep in whatever position you prefer, the cuter, the better.
Step 2. When disturbed, make a show of finding a new, comfortable position, and cover your face like you've seen the humans do when they don't want to wake up.
Step 3. Continue sleeping. Your human will probably not disturb you again.

Happy Napping!

Bailey

1 comment:

Virginia Lee said...

Dear Miss Bailey,

I hope you don't mind hearing from a human, but I am a friend of your person.

I just showed my mama your beautiful photos and she said, "She's such a beautiful kitty! Ooh, look at that fat tummy!"

I'm sorry about that last bit. My mama has a fattish tummy too, so I don't see why she had to point out yours. (She's also pretty old and opinionated.)

I'll be around. I see that my kitty ghosts already have been.

Love,

Virginia Lee